Is Shilajit Safe? Understanding the Benefits and Side Effects of Shilajit
Shilajit, (shuddha shilajeet) also known as "mumijo," "mineral pitch," or "rock sweat," is a natural substance that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine. It is a resin-like substance that is formed from the decomposition of plants and minerals in the Himalayan mountains. Himalaya Shilajit is known for its numerous health benefits like improved energy, brain function, immunity, heart health, and anti-inflammatory properties.
However, it is important to know that anything when taken in excess without prior consultation of an expert can be dangerous, similar in case of shilajit it is necessary to be aware of its potential side effects, such as heavy metal contamination, allergic reactions, digestive issues, interactions with medications, and contraindications for pregnancy and breastfeeding. In this blog, we will explore the benefits and side effects of shilajit in more detail.
Improves Energy and Stamina
Shilajit is believed to increase energy and stamina levels by improving the function of the mitochondria, the cell's powerhouses. This can help to combat fatigue and boost physical endurance.
Enhances Brain FunctionShilajit is known to improve brain function and cognitive abilities. It has been shown to increase memory, focus, and concentration, and may also help to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Boosts ImmunityShilajit contains various minerals and antioxidants that can boost the immune system and help to fight off infections and diseases.
Supports Heart HealthShilajit has been shown to lower blood pressure and improve heart function, making it an excellent supplement for those with cardiovascular issues.
Anti-inflammatory PropertiesShilajit has potent anti-inflammatory properties and has been shown to reduce inflammation in various parts of the body, including the joints, which can help to alleviate pain and stiffness.
Now let us know the Side Effects of Shilajit:
- Heavy Metal Contamination: Shilajit can be contaminated with heavy metals like lead, arsenic, and mercury. These toxins can build up in the body and cause serious health problems over time.
- Allergic Reactions: Some people may have an allergic reaction to shilajit, which can cause skin rashes, hives, and itching.
- Digestive Issues: Shilajit can cause digestive problems like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, especially if taken in large doses.
- Interactions with Medications: Shilajit may interact with certain medications, including blood thinners and medications for diabetes. If you are taking any medication, it is essential to consult your doctor before taking shilajit.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: It is not recommended to take shilajit during pregnancy or breastfeeding, as there is not enough information about its safety for these groups.
In conclusion, shilajit is a natural supplement that has numerous health benefits, but it is important to be aware of the potential side effects. If you are considering taking shilajit, it is essential to consult your doctor first, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking any medications. Also, make sure to purchase shilajit from a reputable source to avoid heavy metal contamination. Consuming Shilajit in recommended dosage levels is of utmost importance in order to avoid the above mentioned side effects.
If you're looking for an effective supplement that contains Shilajit, consider trying AFD Pharma’s Lyber + (Lyber Plus)
Lyber + is a powerful blend of Ayurvedic herbs, including Shilajit, Ashwagandha, Shatavari, Gokshura, Kaunch Beej, and Safed Musli, that work together to provide numerous health benefits.